- Charing Cross
Have a royally good family day out when you head to Horse Guards Parade for the Queen’s Birthday Parade.
Kids will be wide-eyed with wonder as they experience the pomp and pageantry of Trooping the Colour, marking the Queen’s official birthday. The annual event features hundreds of officers, horses and musicians from the Household Division working in perfect harmony in ceremonial uniform.
The Queen will make an appearance after being escorted in a carriage from Buckingham Palace, so if you’re lucky – you might even catch a glimpse! Once she’s returned to the palace, the Queen will take to the balcony with other members of the Royal Family to watch the spectacular RAF flypast.
This day out is fit for any mini kings and queens in the family!
Kidadl in the Know
- Recommended for ages 5+.
- The Queen's Birthday Parade: Trooping the Colour is on 9 June from 10am. The RAF flypast is at 1pm. Seated tickets for the Trooping the Colour ceremony are allocated by ballot (now-closed), but you can also watch some of the event for free by standing along The Mall or on the edge of St James's Park overlooking Horse Guards Parade from 9am. Arrive early to get a spot.
- St James’ Park and Charing Cross are the nearest Tube stations to the Mall, both within a five-minute walk.
- Arrive by public transport as it’s likely to be busy.
- There are no baby-changing facilities available. Your best bet would be to head towards Trafalgar Square and grab a bite to eat in one of the restaurants there to use their facilities.
- There’s level access and The Mall is paved, but it’s likely to be very busy so it’s up to you.
- Head towards Trafalgar Square, a five to 10-minute walk away and grab a bite to eat around there. Prezzo (31-32 Northumberland Ave) has great options for kids; or go to Franco Manca (39 Maiden Ln) for fantastic sourdough pizza or Sticks ‘n’ Sushi (11 Henrietta St) for a great kids menu.