- From £10
All aboard! Transport-crazy kids will love this day out at Epping Ongar Railway for the annual Steam Gala.
The UK’s longest preserved railway will be running services on five engines in steam for the very first time! Trains will wind through the beautiful Epping Forest in a range of vintage and period locomotives that’ll have kids choo-chooing the whole way! Venture through the old stations and grab a trainspotter’s guide to put your knowledge to the test.
In addition to the trains, a fleet of Heritage busses will be operating services between Ongar, North Weald, Epping Underground and Shenfield stations.
A great day out for any mini trainspotters in the family!
Kidadl in the Know
- Recommended for ages 4+.
- Steam Gala is on 8, 9 and 10 June from 10am to 5pm.
- "Look up Epping Ongar Railway. Steam train rides near London, fab activities for kids," says Mei.
- The quickest and easiest way to get there is by Tube on the Central Line to Epping (Zone 6). There is a vintage bus connection between Epping station to North Weald, with some journeys going on to Ongar.
- There is very limited parking available at the stations, with priority given to blue badge customers.
- Baby-changing facilities are available.
- Buggies can be stored in the guards carriage and they are able to accommodate visitors with disabilities and in wheelchairs.
- The Anglia café coach at North Weald serves a range of hot and cold drinks and light refreshments. For the grown-ups, the on-train bars will be be open, serving a selection of draught beers, as well as a range of wines, lagers and soft drinks and, on the Saturday evening, they will be running our Real Ale Train. Or why not bring along a picnic with you. There is a picnic and viewing area at Ongar to relax and unwind, offering a grandstand view of the station and locomotives.
- Make sure to grab a trainspotter's guide at the centre and look out for deers in Epping forest!
- Opening times are subject to change, please check the website or call ahead before setting off.