Are you looking for the best wetsuit for kids?
We've researched the top 10 wetsuits for different ages, seasonal demands, and requirements: if you're looking for the best wetsuit to invest in for your kids, we've got the ultimate list.
Wetsuits are recommended for so many water sports: surfing, kite surfing, wake boarding, wild swimming, sailing - you name it.
If your kids are likely to be in colder water on a UK beach, they'll need a thicker, warmer wetsuit; if they're wearing their wetsuits over the summer, the wetsuit will be more useful for providing UV protection.
All good wetsuits will be made of neoprene, a material that maintains body heat. They should be close-fitting but still flexible, allowing your child to stretch and move their arms and legs freely without resistance or discomfort. They should also be (relatively!) easy to get in and out of - although wetsuits always require a certain amount of gymnastics to shimmy on and off.
Header Image © iStock
Kidadl's Top Pick
1. 4/3mm Furnace Revolution - Chest Zip Long Sleeves Fullsuit Wetsuit by Billabong
This is a sleek, functional, and durable kids' wetsuit that will last for years. Advertised for boys, it fits girls just as well, and is unparalleled for warmth and innovation. Made from exclusive 'Furnace Graphene', which is 50% lighter than traditional fibres, it packs warmth and strength into a lightweight wetsuit. It has a front chest zip for easy entry, its outer material is high-stretch Superflux jersey, and has a seamless back panel for extra flexibility. Plus, it comes in a super slick 'Cascade Blue' colour for style points. All round, a superb kids' wetsuit.
- Price: £180
- Ages: 8-16
- Knitted carbon graphene inner lining to trap and retain heat and reduce water absorption
- Thermo silk in the arms and lower legs for flexibility and warmth
- Superflux jersey outer layer for durability and warmth
- Chest zip entry
- Seamless back panel for flexibility
- Superflux neo-taped seams
- 'Furnace Graphene' is 50% lighter, with strength and warmth
Best For Families On A Budget
2. XT3 Kid's Full Wetsuit by TWF
This is the ideal wetsuit for kids if you're not wanting to break the bank. It's 3mm thickness, is super flexible and stretchy neoprene, with a non-corrosive zipper and velcro zip lock. It also has stretchy knee pads and elbows with a mesh chest panel for greater insulation, and is certified UPF50+ sun protection.
- Price: £22.10
- Ages: 2-8
- Flat lock stitching for comfort and reduced chafing
- Mesh chest panel, non-corrosive zippers
- UPF50+ UV protection
- Duratex stretch knee pads and a gliding, adjustable collar
Best For Early Years
3. Warm In One - Splash About
These kids' wetsuits for tiny tots are so cute that we're jealous we can't wear one! Specifically designed for early years, these wetsuits are fleece-lined in order to keep even the smallest baby warm. It has full length arms and legs, and is designed to keep barrier creams in place for children with sensitive skin. It's easy on and off, UPF 50+ sun protection, and comes in so many designs - we selected Into The Woods. You can also buy a matching Happy Nappy to prevent any nappy leakages.
- Price: £23.99
- Ages: 0 - 24 months
- Fleece-lined to keep in body heat
- UPF 50+ sun protection
- Superb for babies and toddlers with sensitive skin
- Snazzy designs with a matching Happy Nappy
Best For Under 5s
4. REACTOR II 2mm Back Zip Full Wetsuit by O'Neill
Stretchy, durable, fun colours and graphics - all great features for young kids' wetsuits. Flexible but super soft neoprene complements an ergonomic design that is a close fit but also allows for unrestricted motion with no risk of rashes - so your child can wallow in the water without you having to worry.
- Price: £38.95
- Ages: 2 months +
- High stretch neoprene
- Flat lock stitching for extra security and comfort
- Flexible design allows for maximum movement
- A great all round kids' wetsuit for non-winter waters
Best For Under 10s
5. Kids Full Wetsuit by Mountain Warehouse
At 2.5mm of lightweight neoprene, this is a great kids' wetsuit for summer, with a close fit and flat seams that are designed to prevent chafing. It's a wetsuit that comes in many colours, is UPF 50+ resistant, has an easy glide zip and a key pocket. A perfect kids' wetsuit for bodyboarding or surfing.
- Price: £49.99
- Ages: 3 - 14 years
- Made of neoprene for lightness and quick-drying
- Lightweight for summer
- UPF 50+ tested
- Easy glide zip and adjustable neck
6. 3/2mm Neptune Unisex Child's Wetsuit by Gul
Looking for kids' wetsuits that just do the job, aren't too expensive, but are still from a reliable brand? This'll do the trick. Flexible, with freedom of movement, flat lock seam construction and a 'tech-neck' seal for protection from wind chill and cold water. It's also titanium-lined neoprene, designed to reflect your kids' body heat back at them. Great for your child to splash in the waves, carefree.
- Price: £27.99
- Ages: 2+
- Flat lock seam construction
- Titanium lined neoprene to keep in body warmth
- Flexible lower body panels, reinforced knees
- 'Tech-neck' seal for protection from the elements
7. 5MM Origin Full Length Wetsuit by Osprey
This wetsuit for kids is specifically designed for cold water, at a 5/4mm thickness. This means it's 5mm thick everywhere except under the arms, where 4mm panels allow for extra stretch and flexibility for paddling. It's ideal for splashing in the chillier seas of the UK during the autumn and winter, with thick neoprene, flat lock stitching, ergonomic panelling, anti-rub openings and wind-resistant mesh panelling for extra protection from cold water for your child.
- Price: from £43.33
- Ages: 5+
- Extra thick for protection from cold winter water
- Flat lock seams
- Ergonomic panelling
- Stretch collar and anti-chafe openings
- Supratex knee pads for extra durability
- Mesh panelling on chest and back for protection from the element
8. Hammer 3/2mm Chest Zip Full Wetsuit Youth by O'Neill
We've gone for another O'Neill wetsuit, because they really are exceptional quality. To avoid confusion, a '3/2mm' wetsuit is long in the arms and legs, where it's 2mm thickness (hence the '2'). It's 3mm thickness (the '3') in the chest, in order to protect your child's vital organs and body heat. A 3/2mm wetsuit is ideal for spring and summer in the UK, when chill waters may still abound. This wetsuit has flat lock stitching, high-resistance and stretch knee pads, a fully adjustable and watertight neck and a front entry zip - which makes it easier for your child to get in and out of the wetsuit themselves without your help.
- Price: £99.95
- Ages: 10 - 17
- High stretch, super soft neoprene
- Abrasion resistant knees for added durability
- Seamless paddle zones to minimise chafing
- Two later, watertight neck fastening
- Front entry zip
9. Childs 3mm Titanium Shortie Wetsuit by CIC
Shortie wetsuits serve a purpose if your child is likely to be splashing around in the water for slightly less time, so that all-body UV protection and body warmth is less of a priority. That said, these great value shortie kids wetsuits still provide protection from the sun, consisting of a super flexible and soft neoprene with a sturdy back zip and double-stitched seams.
- Price: £15.95
- Ages: 1+
- UPF sun protection
- Double stitched seams
- 3/2mm weight - ideal kids wetsuits for spring/summer
- Strong back zip
- Titanium-laminated lining for warmth
10. 3/2mm POP Surf Wetsuit by Roxy
Just because we're listing kids' wetsuits, it doesn't mean they can't be super snazzy design-wise and sustainable. This tropical 'Black/Terracotta' print Roxy wetsuit ticks all the boxes: stylish, durable, AND sustainable. It's made from 25 recycled bottles and is 100% regenerated polyamide. It also has a heat-retaining 'Warm Flight' thermal fleece lining, a horizontal front zip entry (making it easier for your child to get in and out on their own), and is super stretchy limestone derived neoprene. Your kids can go surfing with a clean conscience.
- Price: £180
- Ages: 9 - 17
- Recycled: made from 25 bottles, with 104 litres less water used than normal wetsuits, and 100% regenerated polyamide
- Warm, light, flexible, limestone-derived neoprene
- Front zip entry for easy on-and-off
- Fused edges and watertight seams
- Supratex knee pads for extra durability
- A stylish geo print
Kidadl Best Buys selects the top parent-recommended products across the web for families of all ages. If you liked our suggestions for best kids' wetsuits then why not take a look at our best kids beach shoes, or for something different take a look at our best roller skates for when you want to roll down the promenade.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things, that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it's important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration for everything from family days out to online classes, arts, crafts and science experiments. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Kidadl is supported by you, the users. When you buy through the links on our site we may earn a commission.
All prices and product availability were correct at the time of publication.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.