If your kids are fascinated by farmyard animals and crazy for critters, clear out your calendar for Open Farm Sunday. For one day only, farms all over the UK are opening their barn doors to help families understand the world of farming.
As well as meeting all the animals, kids will be able to learn all about the story behind the food they eat and how farming affects our everyday lives.
Each farm will be offering different activities, but some include hosted farm tours, static machinery displays and tractor and trailer rides.
In central London, Spitalfields City Farm will be opening its doors to farmyard fanatics and avid explorers. If you live in north London or don’t mind making a journey, there are lots more opening their barn doors towards Hertfordshire and Enfield. The best ones to visit from the city are Fold Farm, Forty Hall Farm, Boltons Park Farm and Appleby Cottage.
Kidadl in the Know
- Recommended for ages 4-12.
- Open Farm Sunday is on 10 June from 10am–5pm.
- Check the Open Farm Sunday website for a full map of the locations and addresses for each farm. You can put in your postcode to find the one nearest to you.
- Most of the farms will have free parking available if you’re driving.
- You’ll need to check with each individual farm you hope to visit to find out this information.
- You can use the checkboxes on the map on the website to ascertain which open farms near you will have food available. Spitalfields City Farm will have tasty treats on offer if you’re hading there.
- Opening times and dates are subject to change – please call the venue or check the website for more details before setting off.