Spiders, in most cases, are considered eight-legged freaks and feared by most worldwide.
Known as Araneae in scientific terminology, spiders have eight eyes, multiple legs and some can be as big as your hand. There are many types of dangerous spiders: some can paralyze you, or poison you with just one bite.
However, in most cases, spiders are harmless and considered worthy pets, especially tarantulas. Tiny spiders are, however, high maintenance. If you think spiders make good pets and are looking for some quirky names for your eight-eyed friend, here's a list of names for pet spiders to help you get started.
Quirky Spider Names For Girls
Here's a list of cute, cool, and funny female names for your creepy friend.
1. Alice (English origin), meaning "noble", a character from 'Alice in Wonderland'.
2. Button (Old French origin), meaning, "someone who makes and/or sells buttons" is one of the cutest names for a spider.
3. Coco (American origin), meaning "chocolate bean" is an adorable name if you have a brown colored pet.
4. Cuddles (Middle English origin), meaning "to embrace" is an ironic name as spiders are far from cuddly pets.
5. Jello (American origin), meaning "gelatin," is a fitting name for a spider because they can be sweet pets.
6. Maleficent (Scottish origin), meaning "dark beauty," is a Disney villain.
7. Muffet (Gaelic origin) meaning, "from the long field" is a great name, as Miss Muffet was scared by a spider in 'Little Miss Muffet'.
8. Scarlett (English origin), meaning 'red,' is the first name of Scarlett Johansson, who plays the Marvel superhero character, 'Black Widow'.
9. Spindle (German origin) meaning "spindle maker or user" a perfect name for all types of spiders.
10. Sugar (American origin), meaning "sweet crystal spice", is a great choice for a spider.
11. Widow (Old English origin), meaning "bereft," is a type of spiders.
Quirky Male Names For Spiders
Here's a list of some quirky male names for your little eight-legged friend.
12. Aragog (English origin), meaning "leader arachnid," is a giant spider from 'Harry Potter'.
13. Daddy Long Legs (American origin), meaning "cellar spiders," is a type of spider and the title of a famous book.
14. Garfield (Anglo-Saxon origin), meaning "grassy land or pasture," is the last name of Andrew Garfield, who had played the second 'Spiderman'.
15. Harry (Middle English origin), meaning "army ruler," is the first name of Harry Potter, who had a near-death experience with a spider in the 'Harry Potter Series'.
16. Holland (Old Dutch origin), meaning "woodland,"; Tom Holland played the third 'Spiderman'.
17. Hunter (Anglo-Scottish origin) meaning "one who hunts" is a fantastic name for a pet.
18. Jack (English origin), meaning "God is gracious".
19. Loki (Old Norse origin), meaning "God of mischief," ; a perfect name for your spider.
20. Malvolio (Italian origin), meaning "ill will,"; a character from 'Twelfth Night'.
21. Miles (Latin origin), meaning "thousands,"; an alternate reality 'Spiderman' from the movie, 'Spiderman, Into the Spiderverse'.
22. Parker (English origin), meaning "keeper of the park,", Peter Parker, the original 'Spiderman'.
23. Pythagoras (Greek origin) meaning "assembly" or "marketplace".
24. Toby (Greek origin), meaning "good is Yahweh," the name of actor Toby Mcguire, who played 'Spiderman'.
25. Webster (Norman French origin) meaning "weaver," a fitting name for a pet that lives on webs.
26. Zorro (Spanish origin), meaning "sly" or "fox," is the main character from 'Mask of Zorro'.
Quirky Gender Neutral Spider Pet Names
Looking for a good gender-neutral name for your pet spider? Here are a few.
27. Blue (American origin) referring "the third color in the spectrum"; a great unisex name for a blue tarantula.
28. Cloud (American origin), meaning "visible vapor" or "nebula".
29. Fuzzy Wuzzy (English origin), meaning "covered with fur," is a cute spider name for tarantulas.
30. Giggles (English origin), meaning "to laugh," is a quirky pet spider name for all spiders.
31. Houdini (Arabic origin) refers to the escape artist Harry Houdini. One of the best names for an escapist tarantula.
32. Itsy Bitsy (English origin), meaning "charmingly small," title of the famous nursery rhyme 'Itsy Bitsy Spider'.
33. Jinx (English origin), meaning "a charm or a spell," is an adorable spider name.
34. Jumper (British origin) meaning "loose blouse" or "jacket" a fitting name if you have a spider that enjoys jumping around.
35. Nugget (English origin) meaning "a strange or silly person".
36. Skreech (English origin) meaning "to utter a shrill cry or sound".
37. Spinner (Old English origin) means "a person who spins thread".
38. Twitch (Old English origin) meaning "to pull apart"; a cute name for spiders.
39. Venom (Anglo-French origin) means "poison" or "malice," a character from the Marvel Universe named 'Venom'.
40. Woof (American origin) meaning "the barking sound of a dog".
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.