Get those little brain cogs going with these riddles about summer that will make them think!
If you're looking to engage the kids' brains whilst they are off school, what better way to do so than getting them to solve these fun summer-themed activities and by working together to solve a riddle or two? We've included 50 of the best riddles that are appropriate for a range of ages and you're bound to find one that will spark up some interesting and funny conversations.
So, if you want to test the brainpower of the curious minds of your kids - you need to use this collection of interesting brain teasers and activities. You could even host a mind riddle themed game show in your garden to find out who can solve them the quickest!
1) What gets wetter the more it dries? A towel.
2) What lives in winter, dies in summer, and grows with its roots upward. An icicle.
3) What travels all the way around the world but always stays in one spot? A stamp.
4) I have no eyes, no ears, and legs, and yet I help move the earth. What am I? An earthworm.
5) A man was walking in the middle of nowhere and it started to rain. He had no umbrella and no hat, but not a single hair on his head got wet. How can this be? The man was bald!
6) What question can never have an (honest!) answer to? Are you asleep?
7) Why do bananas use sun cream? Because they peel.
8) What is full of lots of holes, but can still hold water? A sponge.
9) What do you call a dog on the beach in summer? A hot dog.
10) I am made of cloth. I am used by campers. A person can sleep in me. I am not a tent. What am I? A sleeping bag.
11) I bring music wherever I go. I keep things very cold. I have wheels. People give my driver money and he gives them treats. What am I? An ice-cream van!
12) I am a frozen treat. I am not in a cone. I do not have a stick. Part of my name sounds like a day of the week. What am I? An ice cream sundae!
13) What does the sun drink out of? Sunglasses.
14) What would you call a snowman in summer? A puddle.
15) What's black and white and red all over? A sunburnt zebra.
16) Which day of the week is best to go to the beach? On a SUNday.
17) What passes under the sun but makes no shadow? (This has a few answers) Air, wind and planets!
18) What dresses for summer and sheds in the winter? A tree.
19) What comes once a day but leaves every morning? The night.
20) I am always hungry and need to be fed. What am I? Fire!
21) What is brown, hairy and spends all of its time on the beach? A coconut.
22) Which tree can fit inside in your hand? A palm tree!
23) What did baby corn say to Mum corn? Where is popcorn?
24) How do we know if the ocean is friendly? It waves!
25) What does eveyr ghost eat in the summer? I Scream.
26) Where do sheep love to go on holiday? The Baaa-hamas.
27) What happens if you throw a purple sun hat into the water? It gets wet!
28) Why is ice cream always invited to the party? It's cool.
29) What did the sand say to the tide when it came in? Long time no sea!
30) What did the mermaid use to call her friends? A shell phone.
31) Where do maths teachers love to go on holiday? Times Square.
32) Why did the elephants get banned from the swimming pool? They kept playing with their trunks.
33) What did the sea say to the lifeguard? Nothing, it just waved.
34) Why are mountains the funniest place to vacation? They are hill-arious.
35) Why don't oysters like to share their pearls? Because they are shellfish.
36) Why didn't the sun go to university? He already had a million degrees.
37) What can everybody catch, but never throw? A cold.
38) I have cities, but no houses. I have mountains, but no trees. I have water, but no fish. What am I? A map.
39) What loses its head in the morning but gets it back at night? A pillow.
40) What two things can you never have for dinner? Breakfast and lunch.
41) What shoots up when the rain comes down? An umbrella!
42) If a brown house is made of brown bricks, and a blue house is made of blue bricks, what is a green house made of? Glass.
43) What bow can't be tied? A rainbow!
44) Coal in my belly, steel on my feet. When I get hot it’s time to eat. What am I? A BBQ.
45) I can make castles but l I am not a brick. I often get into your food if you have a picnic. What am I? Sand.
46) I’m surrounded by water but I’m not a fish. What am I? An island.
47) I am a type of building and from the top I shine. I warn sailors about rocks so that ships will be fine. What am I? A lighthouse.
48) I'm a letter of the alphabet and I'm the biggest thing on the planet. What am I? Sea (C).
49) What starts with T, ends with T, and has T in it? A teapot.
50) Why should you never give Elsa a balloon? She will let it go.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things, that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it's important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration for everything from family days out to online classes, arts, crafts and science experiments. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.