Image © prostooleh, under a Creative Commons license.
Looking for inspiration for your child's birthday party?
We're here to save the day with this easy Superman birthday cake that they are sure to love! This impressive bake can seem daunting, but this step-by-step guide will walk you through how to make a Superman cake that will wow your child and their friends.
What You Need:
For the cakes: 710g all-purpose flour, 450g unsalted butter (at room temperature), 600g caster sugar, 8 large eggs (at room temperature), 480ml milk, 2tbsp baking powder, 2tbsp vanilla extract, a pinch of salt.
For the buttercream frosting: 200g unsalted butter (at room temperature), 360g icing sugar, 680g cream cheese, 2tsp vanilla extract.
For decoration: Ready-to-roll fondant in blue, yellow and red.
Equipment: Two 33cm x23cm sheet cake tins (9"x13"), a whisk or stand mixer, a rolling pin.
Who Can Help?
Children from the age of two and older will have fun helping you whisk manually, but you may want to keep them away from the electric whisk or stand mixer.
1) Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F). Place an oven rack in the centre of the oven. Grease your cake tins with some softened butter or margarine. You could also line them with baking paper for extra safety.
2) Start on your Superman cake batter: in a bowl, mix and whisk your flour, baking powder and salt.
3) In a different bowl, beat the butter, caster sugar and vanilla extract with an electric whisk (medium-high speed) or stand mixer until it becomes light and fluffy. This should take 3-5 minutes.
4) Add the eggs to your butter and sugar mixture one by one, keep beating well. Turn the whisk or mixer to low speed and add a third of the dry ingredients, then half of the milk. Keep alternating and mix until you have added everything in.
5) Divide the cake batter evenly between the two cake tins. Bake the cakes for about 35 minutes. To check whether they are ready, insert a knife or a toothpick into the centre of the cakes: it must come out clean before you can take it out of the oven. Once they are out of the oven, place the cakes on a rack to cool for at least 15 minutes.
6) While you wait for the cakes to cool, prepare the frosting: with your electric whisk or mixer, beat the butter until it is light. Add the icing sugar and keep whisking until the mixture becomes fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, then the cream cheese, gradually. Keep beating until well combined.
7) It's time to assemble your Superman cake! Once the cakes are cooled, remove them from the tins and flatten the tops with a bread knife. Add a layer of frosting to the top of one of the cakes then place the other one on top of it, like a sandwich.
8) At this point, you have two choices to decorate your Superman birthday cake: you could either carve the cakes into the shape of a diamond (like the superhero's logo), or you leave them as rectangles. In both scenarios, the next step is to add a layer of frosting on top and around your Superman cake, before rolling out your blue fondant icing thinly with a rolling pin and gently placing it on top of the frosting. Smooth out the fondant with your hands and trim off the excess with a knife or a pizza cutter.
9) Now, to make the Superman logo. Roll out the yellow fondant icing thinly and carve it into a diamond shape; either the same size as your cake if you have carved it into a diamond, or print out a stencil logo if your cake is a rectangle. Place the yellow fondant onto your cake. Next, roll out the red icing and carve out the "S" inside the diamond shape, which should be the same size as your yellow fondant diamond. This may be a complex design to do from memory so either use a print out or refer to an image! Place the red fondant onto your yellow diamond, and there you have it! A Superman cake!
Tips And Recommendations:
You can easily replicate this Superman cake with any cake recipe of your choice: sponge, chocolate cake, lemon drizzle...
Alternatively, if your child prefers another superhero, you could easily replace the Superman logo with Spiderman, Batman, The Incredibles, or any other superhero of their choice!
If you are feeling creative, you could experiment with the decorations of your Superman cake: for example, you could make a shirt out of white fondant icing which is open to reveal the superhero's logo!
If you have guests with allergies, you can replace the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free alternative like spelt for your Superman cake batter.
Although it is delicious eaten fresh, you can make this Superman cake in advance and store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to five days!
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things, that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it's important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration for everything from family days out to online classes, arts, crafts and science experiments. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Kidadl is supported by you, the users. When you buy through the links on our site we may earn a commission.
All prices and product availability were correct at the time of publication.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.