Giving your characters a cool name, whether that be in novels, gaming or more, is an excellent way of showcasing their personality.
Finding the right badass last names can be difficult. Whilst there are thousands of badass last names to choose from that sound awesome, there are only a few that will accurately reflect your character's personality.
When you’re looking to add fierceness and power to your life, making use of a badass name or nickname is the best way to go. These badass last names listed below carry deep meaning and are perfect for you to use in numerous scenarios. Whether you’re trying out a new nickname or trying to find the right surname for a character in your book, these badass names will be the perfect way to get started.
To help with your search, we have put together a list of more than 100 cool and unique badass last names. These interesting last names are provided with context, origins and meanings, which we hope will make your decision easier. Let’s dive in!
Badass Greek Last Names
Ancient Greece has a fascinating cultural history, and as such many of their surnames have always been mysterious, powerful and badass. Below is a list of some of the most badass Greek last names for boys and girls.
1. Adamos, meaning “son of Adam.” Adam was the first man created by God.
2. Aetos, meaning “eagle.” This last name signifies victory, pride, longevity, and power. An eagle is also often called the “bird of God.”
3. Andino, meaning “manly.” It signifies masculinity, power, strength, and valor.
4. Angelopoulos, meaning “son of the angel.” This last name signifies heavenly power, magic, and devotion.
5. Argyros, meaning “silver.” This last name was the surname of a powerful Byzantine noble clan in eleventh century Greece.
6. Athanasiou, meaning “immortal.” Derived from Athanasios, this last name is symbolic of deathlessness and long-lasting fame.
7. Baros, meaning “lucky” or “happy.” It can also signify someone who has authority.
8. Cirillo, meaning “lord.” This last name is immensely popular in Greece and is used for someone who is masterful.
9. Demetriou, meaning “Goddess of fertility,” signifies continuity and longevity.
10. Diamandis, meaning “diamonds,” signifies power, brilliance, and commitment.
11. Drakos, meaning “dragon,” signifies hidden knowledge and supernatural strength.
12. Fotos, meaning “light.” This last name is a short form of the patronymic surname Fotopoulos.
13. Hasapis, meaning “butcher.” You can also use the other version of this last name, which is Hasapi.
14. Lykaios, meaning “wolf.” This last name signifies loyalty and courage.
15. Markopoulos, meaning “God of war” or “God of Mars.”
Badass Russian Last Names
Russian last names are among the most fascinating and badass in the world. Take a look at some of our favorites below.
16. Alexeyev, meaning “defender,” signifies strength, resistance, resilience, and courage.
17. Antonov, meaning “son of Anton,” signifies pricelessness.
18. Aslanov, meaning “son of Aslan.” This patronymic Russian last name is derived from the name Aslan which means "lion".
19. Balabanov, meaning “son of Balaban,” signifies victory, pride, longevity, and power.
20. Borisyuk, meaning “snow leopard” or “wolf.”
21. Bortsov, meaning “wrestler.” This is a Russian occupational last name.
22. Bugrov, meaning “hill,” signifies stillness, eternity, and firmness.
23. Bychkov, meaning “bull.” This last name signifies strength, capability, and power.
24. Drozdov, meaning “blackbird.” This last name is one of the most edgy nicknames.
25. Elin, meaning “light.” This cool last name is perfect for girls.
26. Garin, meaning “guardian.” One of the most unique last names, Garin signifies a protector and a defender.
27. Kovalyov, meaning “blacksmith.” Kovalyov is another edgy and unique last name.
28. Lenkov, meaning “son of Alexander” or “defender of all mankind.”
29. Molotov, meaning “hammer.”
30. Petrov, meaning “stone.”
Badass Japanese Last Names
The Japanese are world famous for their culture and history of badass, ferocious fighting clans such as Samurais. Why not take inspiration from their most badass last names listed below?
31. Abe, meaning “peace many times.” One of the coolest last names, Abe is also one of the oldest Japanese surnames.
32. Bushida, meaning “Samurai” or “warrior,” signifies someone who is courageous.
33. Chisaka, meaning “one thousand hills.” One of the most unique last names, Chisaka is excellent for a hardy and powerful girl character.
34. Eguchi, meaning “source of the river.”
35. Furukawa, meaning “old river.” This is another of the most unique last names.
36. Genji, meaning “dual beginnings” or “source.”
37. Gushiken, meaning “strong willed.” This badass last name is perfect to signify courage and resilience and makes for one of the most cool last names.
38. Hasegawa, meaning “long valley river.” If you want a nature inspired badass last name, this is the one to go for.
39. Ito, meaning “the one,” signifies uniqueness.
40. Ishikawa, meaning “stone river,” signifies strength and fluidity.
41. Kamiyama, meaning “God.”
42. Kido, meaning “wooden door.” This unique last name signifies resilience and strength, perfect for your character.
43. Matsumura, meaning “pine tree village.” Another unique last name, Matsumura is a nature inspired badass last name.
44. Otake, meaning “large bamboo.” This surname sounds cool and signifies resilience and growth.
45. Sone, meaning “root.”
Badass Last Names For Guys
If you’re looking for some cool last names for your male character, that are badass, ferocious and powerful, see our list of favorites below.
46. Abbott (Hebrew origin) meaning “the superior one.”
47. Alexander (Greek origin) meaning “one who protects his own.”
48. Beckett (English origin) meaning “beehive.”
49. Bryant (Irish origin) meaning “son of Brian.”
50. Connor (Irish origin) meaning “lover of wolves.”
51. Curran (Irish origin) meaning “hero.”
52. Davis (English origin) meaning “son of David.”
53. Donovan (Irish origin) meaning “Princeling.”
54. Evans (Irish origin) meaning “son of Evan.”
55. Ford (English origin) meaning “dweller of the ford.”
56. Gibbs (Scottish origin) meaning “bright pledge.”
57. Griffin (Celtic origin) meaning “strong Lord.”
58. Hayes (Gaelic origin) meaning “fire” or “God.”
59. Marshall (Scottish origin) meaning “lover of horses.”
60. Mason (English origin) meaning “someone who is a stone expert.”
61. Nash (Middle English origin) meaning “at the ash tree.”
62. Sawyer (English origin) meaning “to saw.” One of the cool boy names that can also be a badass last name.
Badass Last Names For Girls
There are numerous cool last names for girls that are badass and will stand out from the crowd if you use them for your characters.
63. Alexus (Greek origin) meaning “mankind’s defender.”
64. Arya (Indo-Iranian origin) meaning “honorable.” One of the most amazing last names for girls.
65. Arden (English origin) meaning “valley of the eagle.”
66. Athena (Greek origin) meaning “courage and justice.”
67. Bailey (English origin) meaning “law enforcer.”
68. Bellatrix (Latin origin) meaning “warrior.”
69. Delaney (Irish origin) meaning “challenger.”
70. Garcia (Spanish origin) meaning “bear.”
71. Harlow (English origin) meaning “army.”
72. McKenna (Irish origin) meaning “child of the handsome one.”
73. Quinn (Irish origin) meaning “the wise one.”
Badass Last Names From Around The World
Cool last names make for amazing and badass names for characters. Why not try last names from across the globe for inspiration?
74. Abawi (Arabic origin) meaning “strong.”
75. Abner (Hebrew origin) meaning “God is my light.”
76. Alvarez (Spanish origin) meaning “knight.”
77. Archer (English origin) meaning “bowman.”
78. Argento (Italian origin) meaning “silver.”
79. Armstrong (Scottish origin) meaning “son of the strong man.”
80. Bensen (Old English origin) meaning “blessing.”
81. Bragg (Middle English origin) meaning “brave.”
82. Briggs (English origin) meaning “bridge.”
83. Cutler (English origin) meaning “knife maker.”
84. Cullen (Gaelic origin) meaning “handsome.”
85. Decker (English origin) meaning “roofer” or “thatcher.”
86. Dominguez (Spanish origin) meaning “son of Dominic.”
87. Everhart (Russian origin) meaning “boar’s bravery.”
88. Fawzi (Arabic origin) meaning “triumph” or “victory.”
89. Fletcher (Scottish origin) meaning “arrow.”
90. Griffith (Welsh origin) meaning “strong grip.”
91. Grimes (English origin) meaning “shape changer” or “masked person.”
92. Hightower (Old English origin) meaning “high” or “height.”
93. Irons (Anglo-Saxon origin) meaning “iron” or “strong.” A good last name for a strong character.
94. Jagger (English origin) meaning “carter.”
95. Keating (Old English origin) meaning “kite.” Surely a good last name.
96. Murray (Celtic origin) meaning “Lord of the sea.”
Badass Last Names For Characters From Popular Culture
Drawing inspiration for a badass names from movies, anime, or TV shows is an excellent option. These can be used as both last names or first names.
97. Alistair, a powerful fighter and professor in the 'Harry Potter' series.
98. Baggins, the protagonist in the 'Lord Of The Rings' series.
99. Crimson, the fictional character in the TV series 'Powerless'.
100. Forrest, the title character in the movie 'Forrest Gump' played by Tom Hanks. Surely one of the cool last names.
101. Fox, the special agent in 'X-Files'. One of the most badass nicknames.
102. Minerva, the powerful witch and professor in the 'Harry Potter' series.
103. Mustang, the powerful alchemist in the anime series 'Fullmetal Alchemist'.
104. Robin, the loyal partner of the superhero 'Batman'.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.