Studies suggest that children ask a whopping 73 questions every day! Now that's a lot of who, what, why, where and when’s!
Fun Facts For Under 5’s
Children are like sponges, soaking up all of the information around them so here are some fun facts to really get them thinking!
1) Did you know horses and cows sleep standing up?
2) Did you know that slugs have four noses?
3) Did you know that if you tried to stand on a cloud you would fall through it?
4) Did you know that a giraffe’s tongue is about two feet long and they can even lick the inside of their ears?
5) Did you know dragonflies have 6 legs but can’t walk?
6) Did you know tigers have striped skin as well as striped fur?
7) Did you know snakes can’t blink?
8) Did you know it’s almost impossible to lick your own elbow?
9) Did you know your heart is about the same size as your fist?
10) Did you know when you grow up you’ll have 32 teeth?
11) Did you know elephants are the only mammal that can’t jump?
12) Did you know that giraffes only have bottom teeth?
13) Did you know that human teeth are as strong as shark teeth?
Fun Facts For Ages 5-10
Satisfy curious minds with these interesting facts that will baffle the kids and maybe you too!
14) Did you know pineapples take 2 years to grow?
15) Did you know all babies are born with blue eyes?
16) Did you know apples float because they are one-quarter air?
17) Did you know the temperature of the earth’s core is around 7,500 Kelvin, which is hotter than the surface of the sun?
18) Did you know there are more stars in the sky than grains of sand on a beach?
19) Did you know that Neptune’s days are 16 hours long?
20) Did you know sound does not carry in space?
21) Did you know the Queen has two birthdays-lucky!
22) Did you know a typical cough travels at 60 mph and a sneeze at around 100 mph?
23) Did you know tomatoes and avocados are fruits, not vegetables?
24) Did you know the left side of your body is controlled by the right side of your brain while the right side of your body is controlled by the left side of your brain?
25) Did you know antibiotics are only effective against bacteria, they won't help in fighting off a virus?
26) Did you know number four is the only number with the same amount of letters?
27) Did you know not only does everyone have unique fingerprints, but humans also have unique tongue prints?
28) Did you know your nose and ears continue to grow for your entire life?
29) Did you know a python snake can eat a whole pig in one big gulp?
30) Did you know that snails have 14,000 teeth and some can even kill you?
31) Did you know it is physically impossible for pigs to look up into the sky?
32) Did you know a cat has 32 muscles in each ear?
33) Did you know snails take the longest naps- sometimes up to three years?
34) Did you know your brain is made up of 80% water?
35) Did you know the tongue is the strongest muscle in the human body?
36) Did you know the Queen owns all the swans in England?
37) Did you know the average time it takes for plastic to decompose is 450 years. Glass takes 4,000 years?
38) Did you know we cut down around 27,000 trees every day to make toilet paper?
39) Did you know that the average person will spend 25 years asleep?
40) Did you know a group of frogs is a called an army?
41) Did you know the moon orbits the Earth every 27.32 days?
42) Did you know that 14 March is ‘save a spider day’?
43) Did you know the Earth experiences 50,000 earthquakes each year?
Fun Facts For Ages 10-13
Wow the kids with these fascinating facts!
44) Did you know the average person has 67 different species of bacteria in their belly button?
45) Did you know elephants are pregnant for 22 months? This is the longest period of gestation in any land mammal.
46) Did you know more than 480 million people have played monopoly?
47) Did you know rain contains vitamin B12?
48) Did you know it snows metal on Venus?
49) Did you know it’s considered rude to write in red pen in Portugal?
50) Did you know you lose about 50-100 hairs a day?
51) Did you know all apes laugh when they’re tickled?
52) Did you know a "moonbow" is a rainbow that happens at night?
53) Did you know lobsters wee from their faces and turtles can breathe through their bottoms?
54) Did you know the oldest living tree in the world is in California and is around 4,843 years old?
55) Did you know 11% of people are left-handed?
56) Did you know unless food is mixed with saliva you can’t taste it?
57) Did you know the Hawaiian alphabet has 13 letters?
58) Did you know the sentence “the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog” uses every letter of the English Alphabet?
59) Did you know the dot on the top of the letter ‘i’ is called a tittle?
60) Did you know that Einstein slept for 10 hours a night?
61) Did you know Shakespeare invented the words ‘assassination’ and ‘bump’?
62) Did you know that the word ‘queueing’ is the only English word with five consecutive vowels?
Fun Facts For Teens
More mind-blowing facts that kids will love.
63) Did you know if you sneeze too hard you could fracture a rib?
64) Did you know Australia has pink and purple lakes due to the presence of the algae Dunaliella salina? It causes the lake's salt content to create a red dye, which helps produce its bubble gum colour.
65) Did you know whales swallow half a million calories in a single mouthful?
66) Did you know the longest street in the world is Yonge street in Toronto Canada measuring 1,178 miles?
67) Did you know there are 31,557,600 seconds in a year?
68) Did you know if you add up all the numbers from 1-100 consecutively it totals 5050?
69) Did you know every minute you shed over 30,000 dead skin cell?
70) Did you know ’dreamt’ is the only English word ending with ‘mt’?
71) Did you know the Taj Mahal in India is made entirely of marble?
72) Did you know the longest movie ever made lasts 85 hours and is called ‘The Cure For Insomnia’?
73) Did you know that most people fall asleep in seven minutes?
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things, that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it's important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration for everything from family days out to online classes, arts, crafts and science experiments. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.