Donkeys have been used as a trusted worker for years in farming work but, like any other animal, donkeys are silly and adorable too.
Giving them suitable names is the first thing that pops into our head when we adopt a donkey. Picking a great name for your donkey is important to help you to bond with them.
If you own a cute donkey, names like Colt and Yukio might be appropriate. If your donkey is playful and funny, Burrito or Shrek would make great donkey names. Check out the list of donkey names below for more cute, funny and cool donkey name ideas!
Donkey Names For Boys
Jack is another word for a male donkey. Here is a list of boys' names that would sound cool or funny for your new donkey.
1. Achilles (Greek origin), a figure from the Greek mythology who was the hero of the Trojan war.
2. Akker (English origin), meaning “from the oak tree”. Astrology shows that the name Akker shows qualities of inner strength and bravery.
3. Archie (German origin), meaning “truly brave”. Archie is everywhere! Including the hit series ‘Riverdale’.
4. Baker (English origin), meaning “a person who makes bread and cakes”. Come on, it sounds funny and fresh for hip donkeys.
5. Bay (English origin), meaning “a small body of water set off from the main body”.
6. Björn (Swedish origin), meaning “bear”.
7. Bowie (Irish origin), a nice donkey name meaning “yellow haired”.
8. Cairo (Arabic origin), meaning “victorious one”. Cairo is unique choice for those looking for baby donkey names.
9. Colt (English origin), meaning “young male horse”. This donkey name would be perfect for a burro.
10. Dominic (Latin origin), meaning "of the lord".
11. Eeyore, he is a famous character in the ‘Winnie The Pooh’ books written by A.A. Milne. Eeyore is an old, gloomy donkey who is a friend of Pooh.
12. Gus (Latin origin), meaning “great or magnificent”.
13. Hikaru (Japanese origin), meaning “light or radiance”.
14. Jack (English origin), a nice donkey name meaning “God is gracious”.
15. Kaiser (German origin), meaning “emperor”.
16. Kenzo (Japanese origin), meaning “strong and healthy”.
17. Yukio (Japanese origin), meaning “snow boy”. Yukio sounds like a lovely name for a burro.
18. Ziggy (German origin), meaning “victorious protector”.
Donkey Names For Girls
A female donkey is called a jenny or jennet and a baby donkey is a foul. A young donkey is also known as a burro in Spanish, here is a list of elegant names for your female burro.
19. Amaya (Arabic origin), meaning “night rain”.
20. Candice (Latin origin), meaning “white, pure, sincere".
21. Cierra (Spanish origin), meaning, "little dark one".
22. Daisy (English origin), meaning “day’s eye”.
23. Emerald (Persian origin), meaning “green”.
24. Eva (Hebrew origin), meaning “life”.
25. Felia (Spanish origin), meaning “happy, lucky”.
26. Fiona (Scottish origin), meaning “fair”. Princess Fiona is a famous fictional character from the animated film ‘Shrek’.
27. Hana (Japanese origin), meaning “bud, blossom”. It sounds adorable for baby donkeys.
28. Hanni (Finnish origin), meaning “grace”.
29. Kayla (Hebrew, Arabic origin), meaning “laurel, crown”.
30. Lizzie (Hebrew origin), meaning “God is my oath”.
31. Maya (Sanskrit origin), meaning “illusion or magic”.
32. Nikki (Greek origin), meaning “victory of the people”.
33. Pixie (Swedish origin), meaning “fairy”. This would sound cute for little baby donkeys.
34. Rezi (English origin), meaning “to harvest”.
35. Silvie (Latin origin), meaning “from the woods or forest”.
36. Valri (French origin), meaning “strength, health”.
37. Vina (Spanish origin), meaning “vineyard”.
38. Yasmine (Persian origin), meaning “jasmine flower”.
39. Yui (Japanese origin), meaning “elegant clothing”.
40. Zayna (Arabic origin), meaning “beauty, grace”.
Gender Neutral Names For Donkeys
A female horse and a male donkey breed to produce a mule and a male horse is crossed with a female donkey to produce a hinny. Here is a list of gender neutral names to call your silly and funny donkeys, mules and hinnys.
41. Burrito (Spanish origin), meaning, “little donkeys”, the perfect name for a baby donkey.
42. Case (English origin), meaning “bringer of peace”.
43. Chunky (English origin), meaning “bulky and thick”.
44. Dumbo (English origin), meaning “a stupid person”.
45. Jude (Hebrew origin), meaning “praised”.
46. Pedro (Spanish origin), meaning “stone or rock”.
47. Rory (Irish origin), meaning “red haired king”.
48. Scout (American origin) meaning “first explorer”, this would be a cute name for a mule.
49. Skye (Scottish origin), meaning “from the Isle of Skye”.
50. Tai (Vietnamese origin), meaning “talented one”.
Kidadl has lots of great names articles to inspire you. If you liked our suggestions for donkey names then why not take a look at these Western horse names, or for something different take a look at these cartoon dog names?
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.