Trying to come up with baby names can be quite the challenge at times, especially when you want to keep your heritage involved and you don't know whether you're expecting a boy or a girl.
Thankfully, the Netherlands has plenty of great, popular, and unique names to get inspired by. Creativity can be a strong point for the Dutch, with painters and architects flowing out of the country - so don't be surprised that their names follow suit.
If it's a Dutch name that you're after - we've got you covered. From Anneliese to Jansen to Skylar, you're bound to find the perfect name for a boy, a girl, or even a gender-neutral one. Take a look at the lists below, and find out each name's special meaning.
Dutch Girl Names
If it's Dutch names for girls that you're looking for, you're in the right place. As parents, it's important to keep your heritage running through the family, and what better way than by giving your little girl a first name all the way from the Netherlands?
1) Aleid - (pronounced ah-let). This gorgeous Dutch baby name means "noble kind, or of the noble sort".
2) Angelina - An anglicised version of the Dutch first name Engelina, this name means "messenger, or messenger of God".
3) Anneliese - A popular and pretty Dutch and German name, Anneliese means "favour".
4) Anke - This beautiful name means "grace, favour, or eagle", and also has Hebrew origins to it.
5) Betje - (pronounced bet-je). A Dutch form of the name Beth, meaning "devoted to God".
6) Carolien - Similar to the English name Caroline, this one means "strong, or free".
7) Cilla - This cute moniker has several meanings; "venerable, ancient, sixth, or blind".
8) Cornelia - Originating in the Netherlands and quickly spreading across the world, this one means "horn".
9) Drika - Well-known in Holland and Germany, the name Drika means "ruler of the house".
10) Elise - This pretty name means "promise of God", and is popular among Dutch people.
11) Else - A shortened form of the English Elizabeth, Else means "promise of God".
12) Femke - An adorable name meaning "peace, or little girl".
13) Gerda - This one means "guardian, peace, or fertility".
14) Greetje - (pronounced gret-yeah). Originating from the word Greta, this gorgeous name means "a pearl".
15) Hannie - This name means "grace, or graceful".
16) Isa - A strong moniker meaning "ice, iron, or strong-willed".
17) Jacoba - A common female name in the Netherlands, this means "supplanter".
18) Jantine - A unique name meaning "God is forgiving".
19) Katelijne - (pronounced kat-eh-line-uh). The Dutch form of Katherine, meaning "pure".
20) Luus - Deriving from the name Lucia, this one means "light".
21) Margareta - This Dutch and German name signifies "a pearl.
22) Marieke - A Dutch form of the name Mary, it means "a drop of the sea, bitter, or beloved".
23) Nicoline - Parents in both Holland and all across Europe love this name, meaning "victory of the people".
24) Rebekka - This pretty name means "to tie, to join, or to snare".
25) Rhetta - Of Dutch and Scandinavian origin, this means "a speaker".
26) Sanne - A form of Susanna, this shortened version means "a lily".
27) Trijntje - (pronounced trein-je). This name means "pure, or chaste".
Dutch Boy Names
Looking for a Dutch baby name for your little boy? People with Dutch lineage all over the world are more and more often using Dutch names for their children or adopting them into similar English forms. Take a look at the lists below and check out our favourite popular, and attractive names that we've found - that the whole family can be proud of.
28) Aart - This boy name of Dutch origin means "like an eagle".
29) Aldert - A great name meaning "of noble strength".
30) Andries - (pronounced aan-drees). Perfect for a boy, this name signifies "he who is manly".
31) Bastiaan - A Dutch form of Sebastian, this means "revere".
32) Christoffel - This name means "Christ-bearer".
33) Cobus - A lovely name meaning "supplanter, or holder of the heel".
34) Daan - Short and sweet, this one means "God is my judge".
35) Diederik - (pronounced dee-derik). A popular choice in the Netherlands, this means "ruler, or ruler of the people".
36) Filippus - A Dutch form of Philip, and often shortened to Filip - this one means "fond of horses".
37) Frans - Popular in the Netherlands and Denmark, this name means "free".
38) Guus - Sometimes used as a shortened form of Augustus, this one means "staff of the Goths".
39) Hubert - A Dutch and German name meaning "mind, and bright".
40) Isaak - A popular name from both Dutch people and those across Europe, meaning "he will laugh".
41) Jacobus - A variant of the English Jacob, or Jack, this name means a "supplanter".
42) Jansen - Occasionally used as a surname, this moniker means "son of Jan".
43) Kobus - A shortened form of the name Jacobus, meaning a "supplanter".
44) Lars - A lovely name meaning "crowned with laurel".
45) Luuk - A common Dutch boys name meaning "from Lucania".
46) Markus - This name is widespread across Europe and means "dedicated to Mars, the Roman God".
47) Rhett - An excellent choice from parents, this moniker means "counsel, or advice".
48) Ruben - This charming name means "behold, a son", and is also very popular in Portugal.
49) Steffan - The name Steffan is very well-known, and means "crown, or wreath".
50) Zaan - With Dutch and Hebrew origins, this name means "from the river Zaan".
Unisex Dutch Baby Names
Ready to get started with picking out a name but not sure what gender you're expecting? Or you simply want to opt for a gender-neutral name? That's not a problem. The Dutch baby names below are well suited to both boys and girls, and all have significant meanings to them. Take a look and see if you can find your perfect fit.
51) Diede - A shortened form of Diederik that is used for both males and females, meaning "people".
52) Elian - Similar to names such as Elisabeth or Elijah, meaning "God's oath".
53) Hanne - A short and sweet moniker meaning "grace, or graceful".
54) Hazen - This famous name is also sometimes used as a Dutch surname, and means "smooth and beautiful".
55) Jan - While this name was initially used mainly by males, it has slowly turned into a unisex name. It holds the meaning "God is gracious".
56) Quant - (pronounced kwant). Meaning "one who is rogue", this unique name is also a pretty popular surname across Europe.
57) Schuyler - (pronounced sky-ler) An adaption of the German name Schüler, this Dutch name means "scholar".
58) Skylar - A name that has also become popular widely across the world, this name means "a shelter" in Dutch.
59) Voshell - This Dutch name means "Fox", and is also a known surname.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it’s important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Sponsorship & Advertising Policy
Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising.
We hope you love our recommendations for products and services! What we suggest is selected independently by the Kidadl team. If you purchase using the buy now button we may earn a small commission. This does not influence our choices. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published.
Kidadl has a number of affiliate partners that we work with including Amazon. Please note that Kidadl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.