Are you a potato-lover?
Do you want some fun potato puns to share with your friends?
Well, you have come to the right place. Whether you love to chow down on a plate of chips or have a penchant for the perfect mash, we've got a potato pun for every kind of spud-lover.
And, as it happens, there are a lot of fun facts about potatoes you might not have heard. For example, did you know that they are 80% made of water? Or that, when you buy a potato, it is technically still alive? That's why you sometimes see those little sprouts growing out of the skin. Weird.
Though potatoes are now grown, eaten and enjoyed all over the world, they were first grown in South America. It was the Inca people in Peru that first grew the humble spud, and this was thousands of years ago. Our favourite fact about potatoes is out of this world: they were actually the first vegetable to be grown in outer space! How cool is that?
We're crazy about jokes, particularly foody ones. With more than 60 of the best funny potato puns to choose from, we never knew how funny potatoes could be. Take a look at our list of funny potato jokes and choose your favourite.
Looking for good old, run-of-the-mill potato jokes? Starch here.
1. Why did I win the potato-hiding-contest? Because my carbo-hide-rate was so good.
2. Why do potatoes make great detectives? Because they always keep their eyes peeled.
3. What do you use to carry potatoes? A tater tote.
4. Which day of the week do potatoes dread the most? Fry-day.
5. What do you call a lazy spud? A couch potato.
6. Why did the potato salad blush? Because it saw the salad dressing.
7. Why can't a farmer keep secrets on her farm? Because the corn has ears, the potatoes have eyes and the beans stalk.
8. How do you know a potato is in a bad mood? When they’re acting salty.
9. What do you call potatoes with right angles? Square roots.
10. What do you say to a baked potato that's angry? Anything you like, just butter it up.
11. What do you call a baby potato? Small fry.
12. Why did the potato cross the road? He saw a fork up ahead.
13. Why was the potato taken to a psychiatric hospital? It was starch raving mad.
14. What did the father potato say to his daughter before her football game? I’m rooting for you.
15. What do you call baby potatoes? Tater tots.
These funny potato puns are pretty tuberous...
16. Why did the sea monster eat twelve boats carrying sacks of potatoes? Because nobody can eat just one potato ship.
17. What do you call a spud that always keeps its cool? A medi-tater.
18. What do you get after a potato rain storm? Spuddles.
19. What do you call a fake potato? An imi-tater.
20. What's a potato's favourite TV show? Starch Trek.
21. Did you hear about that potato that had its head chopped off? It was decap-potatoed.
22. What do you call a potato that's afraid to go into hot water? A hes-i-tater.
23. What do you call potatoes that have gone over to the dark side? Vader Tots.
24. What do you call a lethargic baby kangaroo? A pouch potato.
25. What do you call a potato at a sports game? A spec-tater.
26. Why did the pie cross the road? She was meat an potato.
27. A woman goes into a shop and asks if they sell potato clocks. The assistant says “Sorry, we don’t. We have alarm clocks, wall clocks, wind-up clocks... But I’ve never even heard of a potato clock.” The woman says, “neither have I, but I start my new job at nine tomorrow morning so my husband said I should get a potato clock.”
28. What do you call a potato that's always looking for a fight? An agi-tater.
29. Which disease is the biggest killer of potatoes? Tuber-culosis
30. What do you call a potato that's spinning around? A rotate-o.
31. Why didn’t the potato want his daughter to marry the news reporter? Because he was a commen-tater.
Want a potato joke that's short and snappy? Look no further.
32. I love cooking with potatoes. I find them very a-peeling.
33. I took my jacket potato to the dentist yesterday. It needed a filling.
34. Looking for potato puns? You can always count on me to chip in.
35. Saw some crisps strolling down the road and offered them a lift. “No thanks”, they said, “we’re Walkers”.
Sweet Potato Jokes And Puns
Who says jokes about potato can't be sweet?
36. What did the sweet potato say to the regular potato? "I yam what I yam".
37. What do you call a first aid vehicle made out of potatoes? A yambulance.
38. What do you call a stolen yam? A hot potato.
39. Why does everyone love sweet potatoes? They're yammy.
40. What do you call a yam with a broom? A sweep potato.
41. A baby potato is playing with a baby sweet potato in the playground. The sweet potato says to the potato, "I just found out I'm related to you." The potato says, "No you're are not!" The sweet potato says,"Yes, I yam."
42. What's a sweet potato's favourite horror film? Silence of the Yams.
43. What is a potato’s life philosophy? I think, therefore I yam.
Mashed Potato Jokes
These spud-tacular mash potato puns will make you chuckle every time.
44. What's a spud's least favourite dance? The mashed potato.
45. What does a potato say on a sunny morning? What a mashing day!
46. What do you get when you put potatoes on the kitchen floor? Mashed potatoes.
47. Why shouldn't you give a zombie mashed potatoes? Because they're already a little grave-y.
48. What do you get when you put an elephant and a load of potatoes together? Mashed potatoes!
49. What's the difference between pea soup and mashed potato? Anyone can mash potatoes, but no one can pee soup.
50. What's a potato's favourite song to dance to at a Halloween party? The 'Monster Mash'.
51. What do you get when you cross a tater with a race car? Crashed potato.
Are chip puns your favourite jokes about potatoes? Fry these.
52. What do you call a potato after it's been chopped up? A chip.
53. What do you call a monkey that sells chips? A Chipmunk.
54. What do you call a skateboarding potato that's careful with money? A Chipskate.
55. What do you call a chip with glasses? A spec-tater.
56. What do you say at a restaurant when they ask whether you want salad or chips? I'm not taking sides.
57. What do you call a good-looking french fry? A hot potato.
58. What do you say when someone tells you French fries are cooked in France? You say, "no they're not, they're cooked in Greece".
59. A restaurant put up a sign advertising their new 'fat-free chips'. When a health-conscious woman ordered some and received a bag of chips dripping in oil she said, "hang on, those don't look fat-free...". "Yes they are", replied the cook. "We've only charged you for the chips. The fat is free!"
60. What do you call a chip that makes fun of you? A tater-taunt.
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things, that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it's important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration for everything from family days out to online classes, arts, crafts and science experiments. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
Kidadl is supported by you, the users. When you buy through the links on our site we may earn a commission.
All prices and product availability were correct at the time of publication.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.