Having spent so much time indoors recently, you may have found yourself taking up baking as a hobby - or are lost for ideas on what exactly to bake next.
Why not try out this super yummy banana chocolate chip bundt cake? If you don't already know, a Bundt cake is a beautiful looking cake baked into a doughnut-shaped cake tin, originating traditionally from Germany.
Not only is this recipe delicious but it also turns out looking stunning - a cake your family won't forget. (Make sure to check out our vegan alternative while you're here, too!)
115g butter, 300g sugar, 2 eggs, 340g flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 3 large mashed bananas, 125ml milk, 1 tsp vanilla essence, 175g chocolate chips, and 125g chopped up nuts (optional).
1) Begin by preheating the oven to 180°C/160°C fan.
2) Grease the bundt tin with butter, then dust with either flour or cocoa powder - this will ensure that the cake doesn't stick.
3) Place the butter and sugar into a large bowl, and beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
4) Add in the eggs and beat again until fully combined.
5) Slowly sift in your flour, baking powder, and baking soda - and fold this in. (At this stage, you can also stir in your nuts if you're adding any.)
6) In a separate bowl, mix together the mashed banana, milk, and vanilla essence until nicely creamed. Mix in the chocolate chips.
7) Combine the banana mixture with the other mixture and stir well.
8) Pour the combined cake mixture into your prepared tin and place in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
9) Allow the cake to cool and then remove it carefully from the tin. Sift icing sugar all over the top and enjoy!
Make It Vegan
If you're looking for a vegan alternative to this yummy recipe, take a look at the easy swaps you can make below!
1) Instead of greasing the pan with butter, coconut oil works a treat!
2) Skip the butter in Step 3, and replace the eggs in Step 4 with a mixture of 2 tbsp ground flaxseed with 6 tbsp of hot water. (Make sure you let the mixture sit for a minute before you pour it in.)
3) Replace the milk in Step 6 with soy milk and 1 tbsp coconut oil. This banana mixture will make up for the lack of moistness from not using any butter.
4) Use dairy-free/vegan chocolate chips.
1) Make sure that the bananas you're using are overripe - these will have a lovely sweet taste and be super easy to mash.
2) Feel free to switch out half of the sugar with brown sugar to help the cake retain moisture and for some extra flavour.
3) When serving, you may want to drizzle some melted chocolate on top of the cake. Alternatively, you can serve the cake whilst still warm with some ice cream on the side for a treat!
At Kidadl we pride ourselves on offering families original ideas to make the most of time spent together at home or out and about, wherever you are in the world. We strive to recommend the very best things, that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents.
We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so it's important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family.
Kidadl provides inspiration for everything from family days out to online classes, arts, crafts and science experiments. We recognise that not all activities and ideas are appropriate and suitable for all children and families or in all circumstances. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability.
Kidadl cannot accept liability for the execution of these ideas, and parental supervision is advised at all times, as safety is paramount. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong.
We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content.